Arts & Crafts
- For young campers Arts and Crafts focuses on developing artistic skills while having fun. For older campers at Arts and Crafts, children are challenged with more intricate masterpieces: papier maché, salt and wire sculptures, and African masks, are only a few of their favourites.
The Jewellery Shop
- At Jewellerry Shop campers craft masterpieces such as bracelets, necklaces, pins, barrettes and more using plastic lacing, wire, rope and beads. Upon the completion of their fun, fancy jewellery campers are able to bring it home to share with friends and family.
- Children are in charge of the entire creative process at Crestwood; they start with raw clay and continue working on it throughout the session until it arrives on your living room coffee table! After molding their clay it is fired in one of our two on-site kilns, at which point campers paint and glaze their work of art. Crestwood is fortunate to have superior instructors that are able to guide our campers to complete at least two creative projects per session.
- This activity includes dress up, improvisation and mime. The oldest campers put on a show at the end of the month, involving singing, dancing and acting. The campers are active in both on- and off-stage activities, such as costuming, set making, and design. The end product is both rewarding and entertaining. The children gain knowledge of all the arts while having fun.
- The Dino and Teddy Dance specialists prepare activities that include body movement, balance, and rhythm. Children are taught simple routines to their favourite songs. Older campers concentrate on modern jazz routines, dances from foreign countries, and prepare for the many performances that they put on at the all-camp gatherings.
- In Computers, campers learn basic computer skills and usage. Campers receive keyboard and mouse instruction. Activities that campers have done in computers include making cards, drawing pictures in KidPix, making their own sheet of stickers, innovative design work, as well as using entertainment software. The campers are also able to bring home full-colour printouts of their work.
- At Crestwood, Junior, CV and Senior campers enjoy roasting marshmallows, pitching a tent, orienteering with compasses, making trails and tying knots with licorice. Campers of all ages enjoy mini-hikes and campfire sing-alongs.
- Our beautiful wooded valley provides a wonderful location for environmental studies. Campers study many forms of plant life and trees and learn to examine cells and bugs through the microscope. 'Hiking' through many natural trails is a favourite! Crestwood enjoys a cozy on-site petting farm where the animals become special friends to the campers.
- Magic Forest is a specialty specifically directed at the younger campers. When children enter the Magic Forest at Crestwood, they are greeted by larger-than-life cutouts of multicoloured trees, castle walls, gates, and bushes. This program combines drama, music and storytelling while using camper's imaginations in order to give a sense of self-confidence in the arts.
- This specialty is a combination of performance and creative art. Children make a wide variety of puppets using a multitude of materials, and create small performances with them. Our instructors have weekly puppet-show days, where they entertain the children. Our puppets also participate in all our special events as the comical hosts.
- In Music, children have the opportunity to sing along with their instructor, who is trained in guitar and/or keyboard. They also play clapping games and use rhythmic instruments, such as tambourines, triangles, bells, etc. There is variety in our music program to coordinate with the many special events.
Low Ropes Challenge Course
- CV and Senior Section campers will benefit and be excited by our Low Ropes course, designed and maintained by one of Canada's leading ropes companies, The Canadian Ropes Course Company. The emphasis of each trip to "Low Ropes" will be strength, endurance, teamwork and fun. Each cabin will learn co-operation while facing challenges as a group, forming and implementing their own strategies and finally, bonding with their cabin-mates through the feeling of accomplishment achieved by successfully completing the course as a team. This specialty area is operated by a fully certified Canadian Ropes Course Instructor.
- Unleash your inner Spielberg this summer with The Director's Cut Workshops at Crestwood Valley Day Camp. Under the guidance of a trained media and film specialist you and your film crew will have the opportunity to collaborate on this year's biggest summer blockbuster (AKA your film). Learn everything there is to make a film from North America's largest digital film and media studio for youth, including pre-production, production and post-production skills. Our digital studio full of mac books, and digital video gear will turn Crestwood into a working Hollywood Studio! This year, we are proud to premiere our Rock… Paper… Scissors… Paper Stop Motion Animation Workshop and Coming Soon to A Theatre Near You - How To Make Your Own Movie Trailer Workshop. All participants will receive their very own chaptered dvd of the film they create. Campers will get a true red carpet experience this summer. To learn more about The Director's Cut, please click the logo link.
- Yoga for all campers was introduced to Crestwood by Antoniette Finelli, Montessori Teacher, Yoga & Brain Gym Certified with 15 years of inspiring children's health and wellness. This programme offers an active approach to Yoga. Children practice skills that improve their balance, coordination, and gross motor skills. The campers also focus on exercises that integrate the left and right brain which leads to better whole brain function. This comprehensive training includes breathing exercises, yoga poses, games and visualization and relaxation techniques. These tools help create a more focused, calm and harmonious camper. "Yoga Rocks" and Antoniette's goal is to engage campers of all ages to become healthy, active and confident citizens through the use of non-competitive activities. For campers of all ages!
- You won't believe your eyes! Just when you think you've seen it all, there is definitely more than meets the eye. Play, Practice and Perform InterActive Magic in this incredible programme provided by Canada's top sorcerer "Magic Mike". For 20 years, Magic Mike has designed magic and illusions for live theatrical productions, movies, television, commercials and music videos and has been performing for audiences all over the world. He has worked with and for such celebrities as Richard Dreyfuss, Siegfried & Roy, Tony Curtis, Jon Woo and Ringo Starr. Mike is also artistic director of Magic Unlimited Theatre Productions, a touring children's theatre company, teaching magic to children through the TDSB and, is founder of Canada's only summer camp for young magicians - "Sorcerer's Safari". Magic Mike's instructors are all talented, creative performers who inspire, instruct & entertain all of our campers.
- One of Crestwood's most popular programs for SK - Grade 6 graduates is archery. Campers learn all safety and skill techniques in this great target sport. Campers have opportunities to achieve various levels throughout their time at camp.
This fun and interactive program provides campers that have completed Grade 3-6, an opportunity to record music with a professional Disc Jockey. Campers will prepare, perform and edit song pieces that they will help choose. After the final Recording of their songs, campers will be involved in an editing phase that wll culminate with them taking home a CD of their creations.
The Afterschool Club
The Afterschool Club takes campers on an incredible journey with LEGO. Campers will explore different themes and be challenged to build structures of all sizes with the help of the very popular Master Lego Mike! Fun and interactive activities keeps campers of all ages engaged and amazed!
Steve Schnier is best known as the producer of The Magic School Bus, as a sound editor for The Inspector Gadget Show, and as the head writer of Atomic Betty. He has also created the TV series Freaky Stories for YTV. Steve has worked with Walt Disney Television Animation, CBS, YTV, Teletoon, Nelvana Ltd. and many others. He has taught screenwriting and created the YouTube puppet comedy series Brain Eatin’ Zombie Babies.
At PUPPETS COOL! campers learn the art of puppetry, create their own hand puppets and take part in a Black-Light Puppetry Programme. Each fast moving session is packed with hilarious fun with an emphasis on innovation and creativity.